We’ve had some changes to programs listed in the Spring/Summer 2021 Activity Guides since it went to print:
• Registrations for Summer Day Camps will begin on Monday, May 10 for Southfield residents and on Monday, May 17 for non-residents
• Motown Style Ballroom Dance - Parts 1, 2 & 3 April 17 – May 22 Canceled
• Moderate Yoga April 5-26 Canceled
• Spanish 1 & 2 April 8-May 13 Canceled
• Bike Safety Rodeo May 2 Canceled
Community Gardens at Mary Thompson Farm
Have you ever been to the Mary Thompson Farm on Evergreen Road between 10 Mile and I-696? It’s there where the white house with the windmill is just south of the municipal complex. Did you know that there are gardens located there where you can grow and harvest your own crops?
If you like to garden but don’t have the space to do so in your current residence we invite you to join our Community Gardens program at the Mary Thompson Farm. This City gem has approximately 70 plots which can be reserved for a growing season (April-October). Our gardens cultivate a real sense of community in a safe and socially distant environment. Returning gardeners can reserve their spot for the 2021 season through March 26, 2021. After that date, available plots can be reserved by Southfield residents on a first come, first served basis for $70/plot. Water and garden tools are available (dependent on CDC guidelines). The Southfield Parks & Recreation Information Desk is available to take registrations over the phone at 248-796-4620, Monday-Friday from 9 am-5 pm. Get out and enjoy the beauty of Southfield!
Parks & Recreation Update - April 13
To help slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus in our community and in accordance with the latest orders issued by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services:
• The Parks and Recreation Building, the Senior Services office, Southfield Sports Arena and Beech Woods Recreation Center are closed to the public until May 3. Staff continue to work at all facilities, both on site in a limited capacity and remotely.
• Staff at the Parks & Recreation Department Information Desk (248) 796-4620 and the Beech Woods Recreation Center (248) 796-4670 front desk will answer phones and accept registrations by phone only. During this time, our phone lines will be open Monday through Friday from 9 am-5 pm. On-line registration is available anytime of the day at https://apm.activecommunities.com/southfieldparks
• TOSS (Transportation of Southfield Seniors) will continue to take reservations and provide transportation for medical appointments and limited grocery trips. Appointments must be made at least 48 hours in advance and riders will receive a health screening call the day prior to their appointment between 10 am and 2 pm. Masks are required for all riders and drivers, and buses are cleaned after each rider. If you have questions or would like to schedule an appointment please call (248) 796-4658. Leave your name, phone number and a short message and someone will return your call as soon as possible. If you need other transportation services please call the SMART Connector at (866) 962-5515.
• All Southfield parks remain open to the public during this time. However, outdoor restrooms and water access at Beech Woods Park, Civic Center Park, Inglenook Park, Pebble Creek Park and the Mary Thompson House and Farm are closed for the season. When visiting a Southfield park please do your part to protect yourself and others by wearing a face mask and keeping a safe physical distance from others.
Southfield Senior Services Activities
Parks & Recreation Senior Services is committed to helping Southfield seniors get and stay active, physically and mentally, through a number of classes, monthly programs and trip opportunities. For more details on senior activities you call us at (248) 796-4650.
Senior Services Activities include:
All senior trips are suspended at this time. The Senior Services offices remain closed to the public at this time.
Senior Services offers many monthly trips, casino trips and other day trips throughout the area. Registration is limited for all day trips and all participants must have proper picture I.D. with them on the trip.
Flyers with further details regarding day trips and other Senior Services events are posted below in pdf format and are available in print at the Senior Services offices in the Parks & Recreation Building. Their offices open Monday through Thursday from 8:30 am-4:00 pm and Friday from 8:30 am-2:00 pm. All trips depart from the Parks & Recreation Building located at 26000 Evergreen Road, unless otherwise noted. A bus may be requested to pick up off-site if there are five or more passengers. Due to the overwhelming demand for off site pick ups we are requesting that anybody who wishes to be picked up must be signed up for the trip two weeks prior to when the trip will be leaving. If you sign up for the trip with less than two weeks until the trip, you must board the bus at the Southfield Parks & Recreation Building. We reserve the right to deny access to any applicants we deem unable to follow the trip guidelines.
Staying Active With Parks & Recreation
The City of Southfield offers a variety of programs for seniors that will help you stay active. Programs are offered at many sites throughout the city and include bounce volleyball, tennis, softball, chair exercise, golf, tai chi, water exercise, and line dancing. Programs are open to all residents (and non-residents) age 50 and over unless otherwise noted.
For more information on specific classes, please call Senior Services at (248) 796-4650.