Parks & Recreation Update - November 18
To help slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus in our community and in accordance with the latest orders issued by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, all Southfield Parks & Recreation Department programs and special events are cancelled or postponed from November 18 through December 9.
• The Parks and Recreation Building, the Senior Services office, Southfield Sports Arena and Beech Woods Recreation Center are closed to the public. Staff continue to work at all facilities, both on site in a limited capacity and remotely.
• Staff at the Parks & Recreation Department Information Desk (248) 796-4620 and the Beech Woods Recreation Center (248) 796-4670 front desk will answer phones and accept registrations by phone only. During this time, our phone lines will be open Monday through Thursday from 9 am-5 pm. On-line registration is available anytime of the day at https://apm.activecommunities.com/southfieldparks/
• In accordance with outdoor group gathering limitations made in the MDHHS order, the Southfield Tree Lighting Ceremony planned for December 4 has been canceled.
• TOSS (Transportation of Southfield Seniors) will continue to take reservations and provide transportation for medical appointments and limited grocery trips. Appointments must be made at least 48 hours in advance and riders will receive a health screening call the day prior to their appointment between 10 am and 2 pm. Masks are required for all riders and drivers, and buses are cleaned after each rider. If you have questions or would like to schedule an appointment please call (248) 796-4658. Leave your name, phone number and a short message and someone will return your call as soon as possible. If you need other transportation services please call the SMART Connector at (866) 962-5515.
• All Southfield parks remain open to the public during this time. However, outdoor restrooms and water access at Beech Woods Park, Civic Center Park, Inglenook Park, Pebble Creek Park and the Mary Thompson House and Farm are closed for the season. Porta potties are placed at Civic Center Park near the tennis courts and at Inglenook Park near the existing restrooms for as long as weather permits. When visiting a Southfield park please do your part to protect yourself and others by wearing a face mask and keeping a safe physical distance from others.
Holly Jolly Drive-Thru
Friday, December 11 6 - 8 pm
Parks & Recreation Building front circle, 26000 Evergreen Road
It’s time for some holiday cheer and fun! Load the family into the car, throw some holiday music on the radio and drive over to the Southfield Parks & Recreation Building on Friday, December 11 for our Holly Jolly Drive-Thru.
As you drive through the Parks & Recreation Building front circle you will see our lovely holiday lights along with festive ice carvings, a live reindeer, and Santa…all from the comfort and safety of your own vehicle!
We know you have them, so bring your letter for Santa and one of Santa’s helpers will put it in his special mailbox to take back to the North Pole with him. Santa and his friends will be on site from 6-8 pm only since it is their busy season and they need to get back to Santa’s Workshop.
The first 250 children will receive a treat bag with goodies and give aways from Southfield Parks & Recreation and our partners the Southfield Public Library and the Southfield Police and Fire departments.
For everyone’s safety, all participants must stay in their vehicle at all times and only stop to receive treat bags, turn in letters for Santa or take photos of the entertainment.
Admission is FREE. Please call (248) 796-4620 for more information.
Outdoor Restrooms Closed for the Season
Outdoors restrooms and water access at
• Beech Woods Park
• Civic Center Park (near the Miracle Field)
• Inglenook Park
• Pebble Creek Park
• Mary Thompson House and Farm
are closed for the season through May 1, 2021. Porta potties will be placed at Civic Center Park near the tennis courts and at Inglenook Park near the existing restrooms as long as weather permits. For more information, please call Southfield Parks & Recreation at (248) 796-4620.
Southfield Residents Can Purchase Discounted Detroit Zoo Tickets
We are excited to announce that Southfield Parks & Recreation has joined the Detroit Zoo's Tickets & More Online Discount Program! You may buy specially priced tickets for the Detroit Zoo over the Internet with the added convenience of printing your tickets and then presenting them at the Zoo entrance. Purchasing tickets has never been easier!
You may purchase tickets online immediately by visiting your exclusive Detroit Zoo Tickets & More Discount Online Program ticket store in either of the following ways:
1: Click on our special Detroit Zoo link https://tickets.detroitzoo.org/affiliate.asp?ID=0F8E5784-1B1F-4FDE-8B69-108A9B125D7E This link will take you directly to our special "store" site without the need to enter a password.
2: You can also reach the site by going to https://tickets.detroitzoo.org and enter our exclusive Ticket Store User Name: Southfield parks and recreation
Please note: If you wish to visit the Polk Penguin Conservation Center, you will need to get a free, timed-entry pass. Passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis at main admissions gate only. We hope you and your family enjoy the Detroit Zoo this season! If you have any questions concerning the Detroit Zoo ticket program please call us at (248) 796-4620.