Water & Sewer Services



Application for new city water and/or sewer service is made through payment of the tap permit, issued from the Water Department. The applicant is to provide to the department the following information: the property address; the property sidwell number, if available; the desired water service size (1" minimum ); the desired meter size; the property owner’s name, address, and phone number; and the sewer contractor’s name, address, and phone number. For commercial properties, the tap fees are determined by the department upon review and approval of the design plans by the Engineering Department.

Full payment of the water/sewer tap permit is required prior to obtaining permits through the Building Department.


New sanitary sewer lines have been installed in many areas of the city, allowing more properties to connect to the sanitary sewer system. For information regarding this project and for questions about permit fees for connecting to the new system, contact the Building Department at (248) 796-4100. 


The City is currently offering a loan to homeowners in the new sanitary sewer district to assist with the  Direct Benefit Charge portion of the total sewer permit cost. The sewer loan currently allows for an interest only payment of three (3%) percent for the first three (3) years with the remaining balance to be financed at three (3%) percent amortized over 15 years for a total period of 18 years. The loan is secured by a lien on your property and is not assumable. To request an application, please contact the Building department at (248) 796-4106.


If a residence or commercial building is to be demolished, the procedures for the water service to be disconnected are as follows:

1) An appointment must be requested at least one day in advance for the water service to be turned off and for the water meter to be removed.

2) A permit fee of $300.00 is to be paid for each water service that is to be disconnected. This permit is to be issued by the Water Department.

3) After the department receives payment for the permit, the disconnect is scheduled.

For water billing, new water or sewer service, water service shut off, or troubleshooting problems, call (248) 796-4850. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.