Building Department Codes
The City of Southfield Building Department is responsible for the enforcement of all codes, laws and ordinances for the city relating to building, wiring, plumbing, heating and cooling.
The department issues all permits for building and construction, conducting inspections by registered inspectors to ensure sound work.
All plans are reviewed by this office before permits are issued. City of Southfield building employees meet with builders, architects and engineers prior to the start of a large construction project to reiterate city ordinances and codes.
Codes currently in effect:
- 2015 Michigan Building Code
- 2015 Michigan Rehab Code
- 2015 Michigan Plumbing Code
- 2015 Michigan Mechanical Code
- 2015 Michigan Residential Code
- 2017 MEC, Michigan Electrical Code Part 8 Rules, January 4, 2019
- A117.1-2009 Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities
- 2015 International Fie Code
- 2015 International Swing Pool and Spa Code
- 2015 International Property Maintenance Code
- Health Regulation
Oakland County Heath Department
27725 Greenfield Road
Southfield, Mi. 480769-3625
All of these books, except Health Regulations, are available for viewing at the City of Southfield Building Department.