Sewer and Drain Backups


What if you have a flooded basement?

Immediately on discovery of an overflow or back up of sewers and drains, contact the Water Department at 248-796-4850. After hours, the message will advise you to call 248-796-4899 or  call the Police desk at 248-796-5500 to be put in touch with the supervisor on call.

Under  Public Act 222, any  resident having experienced an overflow or back up of a sewage disposal system or storm water system, must file a written claim with the City within 45 days after the overflow or back up was discovered or in the exercise of reasonable diligence should have been discovered.  Notice should be mailed to the OFFICE OF MANAGEMENT AND BUDGET, at THE CITY OF SOUTHFIELD.  Failure to provide the required notice to the City will limit your rights under the law.

Contact the Office of Management and Budget for more information at 248-796-5260.