Welcome to the Southfield Housing Department
The Housing Department's goals are:
- Improve and preserve Southfield's existing housing stock
- Revitalize neighborhoods and expand affordable housing principally to benefit low and moderate-income persons
- Organize partnerships with other city departments and outside entities to provide greater resources and public awareness.
City of Southfield Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program
The City of Southfield receives Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds annually from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) based on a formula allocation. The CDBG has been in existence since 1974 authorized by Title I of the Housing and Community Development Act.
The purpose of the CDBG program is to allow the City of Southfield to develop and implement activities and projects that are uniquely suited and beneficial to Southfield residents within the framework of federal guidelines.
Department of Housing and Urban Development
Each activity funded with CDBG funds must meet one of the three national objectives:
- Aid in the prevention or elimination of slums or blight.
- Resolve an urgent need; serious and immediate threat to health and welfare of the community where other financial resources are not available.
- Benefit persons of low and moderate income.
Each year the Housing Department hosts informational meetings for the public to gain information on the CDBG program. Technical assistance is available to agencies for help preparing their applications.