Property Room Hours:
Monday–Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. by appointment only.
Please contact the Property Room Clerk at 1-248-796-5510 to schedule an appointment.
Prisoner Property can be released to the arrested person or their designate as long as they have the pink Southfield Prisoner Property form. If the form is not available, a person arrested may draft a letter that must be signed and notarized by a notary public authorizing an alternate person to pick up their property. Questions regarding the release of property may be directed to the Property Clerk at 1-248-796-5510.
Evidence & Other Property
Property seized as evidence is generally releasable after the case has been adjudicated and the appeal period has past, which is 21 days after date of conviction for a misdemeanor and 42 days after date of sentencing for a felony. Property that is found or submitted for safekeeping is usually available for release Tuesday through Friday during normal property room hours. Questions may be directed to the Property Clerk at 1-248-796-5510.
Release of Firearms
FIREARMS ARE NOT AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE.
State and Federal Law prohibit the release of any firearm to persons who meet one of the following general criteria:
- The person has a felony conviction on their record.
- The person has been convicted of Domestic Violence out of any jurisdiction
- The person has a Mental Order on their record.
- The person is subject of a valid PPO or Conditional Bond Release
- The firearm was used in the commission of crime that was prosecuted under State Law.
A background check will be performed to ensure the person requesting the firearm is able to lawfully receive it. Persons wishing to retrieve a handgun must provide good ID and a valid gun registration at the time of release. Questions regarding the release of firearms may be directed to the Property Clerk at 1-248-796-5510.
Police Property Auctions
The Southfield Police Department will periodically hold an auction separate from the Auto Auction. The Department uses the Claude McMillen Auction & Real Estate Company, an off-site auctioneer. Their web site can be found at http://fahoch.pages.web.com/index.html.
- A Samsung phone in a black case was found in the area of Bell and Bellbrook and turned into the Southfield Police Station. Please call the property room at 248-796-5516 and reference Incident 23-38300 if this phone belongs to you.
- A blue duffel bag containing women’s clothing and other misc. toiletries was found in the parking lot of the Legacy Place Condos on Lucerne Drive. If this property belongs to you, please contact the Southfield Police Property Clerk at 248-796-5516 and reference Incident 23-34706. Unclaimed property will be disposed of after 90 days.
- A necklace was found on the ground between the police department and the 46th district court. Please contact the property clerk at 248-796-5516 and reference incident 23-33149 if this property belongs to you.
- A Louis Vuitton wallet was found on the ground near the Southfield Municipal Campus. Please contact Margaret Thomas, property clerk, at 248-796-5516 and reference Incident #23-27021 if this belongs to you.
- A key ring with 11 keys and misc. rewards cards was found on the front lawn of the Southfield Municipal Campus. Please contact Margaret Thomas, property clerk, at 248-796-5516 and reference incident #23-27245 if this belongs to you.
- A Motorola cellphone with a blue and gray phone case was found on the front lawn of the Southfield Municipal Campus. Please contact Margaret Thomas, property clerk, at 248-796-5516 and reference incident #23-27129 if this belongs to you.
- An iPad in a case was turned into the police department. If this is yours and you can describe and unlock it, please contact Margaret Thomas, property clerk, at 248-796-5516 and reference incident #21-34544.