Property Room Hours:
Monday–Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. by appointment only.
Please contact the Property Room Clerk at 1-248-796-5510 to schedule an appointment.
Prisoner Property can be released to the arrested person or their designate as long as they have the pink Southfield Prisoner Property form. If the form is not available, a person arrested may draft a letter that must be signed and notarized by a notary public authorizing an alternate person to pick up their property. Questions regarding the release of property may be directed to the Property Clerk at 1-248-796-5510.
Evidence & Other Property
Property seized as evidence is generally releasable after the case has been adjudicated and the appeal period has past, which is 21 days after date of conviction for a misdemeanor and 42 days after date of sentencing for a felony. Property that is found or submitted for safekeeping is usually available for release Tuesday through Friday during normal property room hours. Questions may be directed to the Property Clerk at 1-248-796-5510.
Release of Firearms
FIREARMS ARE NOT AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE.
State and Federal Law prohibit the release of any firearm to persons who meet one of the following general criteria:
- The person has a felony conviction on their record.
- The person has been convicted of Domestic Violence out of any jurisdiction
- The person has a Mental Order on their record.
- The person is subject of a valid PPO or Conditional Bond Release
- The firearm was used in the commission of crime that was prosecuted under State Law.
A background check will be performed to ensure the person requesting the firearm is able to lawfully receive it. Persons wishing to retrieve a handgun must provide good ID and a valid gun registration at the time of release. Questions regarding the release of firearms may be directed to the Property Clerk at 1-248-796-5510.
Police Property Auctions
The Southfield Police Department will periodically hold an auction separate from the Auto Auction. The Department uses the Claude McMillen Auction & Real Estate Company, an off-site auctioneer. Their web site can be found at http://fahoch.pages.web.com/index.html.
- A single earring was found in the police lobby. If this belongs to you and you can describe it, please contact the property clerk, Margaret Thomas, at 248-796-5516 and reference incident #21-32924.
- A blue and black backpack was found at the Starbucks at 28875 Northwestern. Please contact the Property Clerk, Margaret Thomas, at 248-796-5516 and reference incident number 21-32400, if this bag belongs to you.
- An Android cell phone, black with a blue back was found in the area of 9 Mile Road and Evergreen. Please contact the property clerk, Margaret Thomas, at 248-796-5510 and reference incident 21-29260, if this phone belongs to you.
- A wallet containing a Tennessee State University ID and two debit cards was found at 12 Mile and Telegraph. If this belongs to you, please call the property clerk, Margaret Thomas at 248-796-5516 and reference incident #21-23498.
- An Under Armor bag with misc. clothing items was found on the front lawn of a residence. If this property belongs to you, please contact Margaret Thomas, property clerk, at 248-796-5516 and reference incident #21-23180.
- A bicycle was found on the front lawn of a residence. If you are the owner and can describe the bike, please contact Margaret Thomas, property clerk, at 248-796-5516 and reference incident #21-23133.
- A tent, camp cot and chair were found at Carpenter Lake. If this property belongs to you, please contact the property clerk, Margaret Thomas, at 248-796-5516 and reference incident 21-21556.