Southfield Public Arts Commission announces Mural Art Competition at Beech Woods Recreation Center
May 5, 2023
The Friends of Southfield Public Arts, in collaboration with the Southfield Public Arts Commission and Southfield Parks and Recreation, welcomes metro Detroit artists to submit original mural artwork to be displayed at the Beech Woods Recreation Center, 22200 Beech Road. The artwork will be enlarged to an 8 feet x 21 feet panel at the Beech Woods Recreation Center. Artists interested in competing are encouraged to visit the Beech Woods Recreation Center to see the panel location.
All entries will be juried by representatives of the Friends of Southfield Public Arts and the Southfield Parks and Recreation Board. If selected as the winning submission, the artist must be available for communication with the Southfield Public Arts Commission and the Southfield Parks and Recreation Board, as well as with the vendor who will be doing the reproduction of the artwork. Submissions will be accepted until May 15, 2023, and the winning artist will be notified by June 30, 2023. The cost of entry is $15 that can be paid via PayPal or by check mailed to The Friends of the Southfield Public Arts. Submissions for digitized artwork are accepted by email to SFLDPublicArts@gmail.com, or online by filling out the following form:
Physical submissions are also accepted. They can be mailed or hand-delivered to the Mayors Office at the Southfield Municipal Campus. If mailing a submission, the following address should be used: The Friends of Southfield Public Arts, c/o Mayor’s Office, City of Southfield, 26000 Evergreen Rd., Southfield, MI 48076.
The first place artist will receive an honorarium of $2,000 and will have their work installed in the Beech Woods Recreation Center. The cost of reproduction and installation of the work will be covered by the Southfield Public Arts Commission. The second place artist will receive an honorarium of $1,000 and the third place artist will receive an honorarium of $500.
- The content for the mural should reflect the location of the Beech Woods Recreation Center. Artists may consider themes related to sports, nature, family, community, and recreational activities. The artwork should be positive, colorful, and engaging, and should avoid any religious or political imagery. Artists are encouraged to visit the Beech Woods Recreation Center to see the panel location.
- Entries may be in any two-dimensional medium, including painting, photography, digital art, drawing, etc.
- Entries may not in any way identify the artist submitting the work.
- Artists should be 18 years or older who live or work in metro Detroit.
- Entries must be scaled to fit the 8’x 21’ dimensions of the installation location with a minimum resolution of 300 DPI. Larger submissions will be scaled back to meet those dimensions.
If you have additional questions, please send an email to the Southfield Public Arts Commission at SFLDPublicArts@gmail.com or contact the Mayor’s office at (248) 796-5100.