August 12, 2021

share this on  Facebook   Twitter   Email

Any resident experiencing an overflow or sewage backup should contact the Water Department at (248) 796-4850.  After hours, the message will advise you to call 248-796-4899 or you can call the Police desk at (248) 796-5500 to be put in touch with the supervisor on call.

Under Public Act 222, any resident having experienced an overflow or backup of a sewage disposal system or storm water system, must file a written claim with the City within 45 days after the overflow or backup was discovered or in the exercise of reasonable diligence, should have been discovered.  Notice should be mailed to the Office of Management and Budget at the City of Southfield.  Failure to provide the required notice to the City will limit your rights under the law.  For more information, contact the Office of Management and Budget at (248) 796-5260.  For a claim to be viable, the source of the backup must be the City sewer.  Problems caused by the property’s plumbing or sewer lead are the homeowner’s responsibility.