City Council and Planning Commission April 17 Special Meeting
CITY OF SOUTHFIELD
OF THE CITY COUNCIL
APRIL 17, 2023
ROOM 221 – PARKS & RECREATION BUILDING
26000 EVERGREEN ROAD, SOUTHFIELD, MI
A. Call to Order
B. Roll Call – City Council
Roll Call – Planning Commission
C. Communications/Public Comment – The Southfield City Council and the Planning Commission have established the following Rules of Procedure for all speakers:
- No speaker may make personal or impertinent attacks upon any officer, employee, or City Council member or Planning Commission member, or other elected official that is unrelated to the manner in which the officer, employee, or City Council member or Planning Commission member, or other elected official, performs his or her duties.
- No person shall use abusive or threatening language toward any individual when addressing the City Council and Planning Commission.
Any person who violates this section shall be directed by the presiding officer to be orderly and silent. If a person addressing the Council and Planning Commission refuses to become silent when so directed, such person may be deemed by the presiding officer to have committed a “breach of the peace” by disrupting and impeding the orderly conduct of the public meeting of the City Council and Planning Commission and may be ordered by the presiding officer to leave the meeting. If the person refuses to leave as directed, the presiding officer may direct any law enforcement officer who is present to escort the violator from the meeting.
D. Round Table Introductions
E. Items for Discussion
- Council’s views on developing vacant parcels.
- New Development vs. Redevelopment and Adaptive Re-Use.
- Types of new and innovative housing (i.e. Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs); Tiny Homes; Container Homes; Communal Living; etc.).
- NIMBYism and resident issues (i.e. traffic, noise, litter, tree removals, preservation of natural areas, etc.)
- How do Planning Commission recommendations guide City Council decisions.