Guidelines for Weekly Trash & Recycling Pick-up
The City contracts trash pick-up for single-family residential homes. The fee for single-family residential trash, recycling, yard waste and brush pickup is included in the summer tax bill. Apartments, condominiums and businesses must arrange for their own trash pick-up.
The City’s contractor provides weekly residential trash/garbage and recycling pick-up. New residents who do not yet have the orange recycling bins may request bin delivery by calling the Department of Public Works, (248) 796-4860. Replacement recycling bins also are available for $7 each at the Neighborhood & Information Center at Southfield City Hall.
The current trash pick-up and recycling schedule:
- Monday Neighborhoods between 12 & 13 Mile Roads
- Tuesday Neighborhoods between 11 & 12 Mile Roads
Including Section 13
- Wednesday Neighborhoods between 10 & 11 Mile Roads
- Thursday Neighborhoods between 9 & 10 Mile Roads
- Friday Neighborhoods between 8 & 9 Mile Roads
Single-family residents can help the weekly curbside trash collection process by following these guidelines:
- Place trash at the curb after 4 p.m. on the afternoon before scheduled pick-up and no later than 7 a.m. the day of your scheduled pick-up. Empty receptacles must be removed from the curb by noon of the day after pick-up.
- All mixed-refuse (non-recyclables) must be in bags or watertight containers holding 32 gallons or less, including tight-fitting lids and handles. Yard waste must be in recyclable paper bags or in ordinary trash containers (marked with a "Y" or a Yard Waste sticker) and placed at least three feet from the regular trash.
- Branches and tree limbs must be less than 8 inches in diameter and not more than 6 feet long with cut ends facing the street. They will be picked up from the curb from spring though fall.
- Furniture should be placed at the curb before 7 a.m. on trash day, so an inventory can be taken.
- Appliances (refrigerators, washing machines, etc.) - all doors and lids must be removed for safety before being placed at curbside.
- Hazardous waste and building materials are NOT accepted.
- Other unacceptable items: tires, concrete, earth, logs, stumps and yard waste in plastic bags.