PERMIT TO CONSTRUCT REQUIREMENTS
Initial plan submittal to the City of Southfield Engineering Department must include:
- Four (4) sets of construction plans.
- An itemized cost opinion for site improvements, including soil erosion, paving, grading, utilities and storm water management.
Before a permit can be issued the following must be submitted to the Engineering Department:
- Evidence that necessary permits have been issued by:
- Michigan Department of Transportation
- Road Commission for Oakland County
- Oakland County Water Resources Commissioner
- Michigan Department of Environmental Quality
- A non-refundable review fee in the amount of 2.0% of the estimated cost.
- A cash bond between $1,000 - $10,000 will be collected for soil erosion.
- Performance Guarantee for 100% of the estimated construction cost in the form of cash, certified check, or irrevocable bank letter of credit.
- A deposit of the percentage of the total contract amount for inspection and testing fees as follows:
|Cost of Construction
|0 to $5,000
|$5,000 to $50,000
||20% but not less than $1,000
|$50,000 to $100,000
||18% but not less than $10,000
||15% but not less than $18,000
At the completion of the project and prior to FINAL ACCEPTANCE the applicant shall pay an additional amount as may be required should the deposit be insufficient to cover the total inspection and testing costs. Should the amount deposited have a surplus, it shall be returned to the applicant after final acceptance by the City Council.
- Utility Dedication Surety in the form of cash escrow or an irrevocable bank letter of credit. Release of Utility Dedication Surety shall be made after public improvements have been accepted by City Council.
|Cost of Construction
|0 to $10,000
|$10,000.01 to $50,000
||10% but not less than $3,000
|$50,000.01 to $100,000
|$100,000.01 or more
- The contractor shall procure and maintain during the construction and until final acceptance of the improvements by action of the City Council, insurance meeting the requirements of the General Supplementary Conditions of the City's specifications for construction. The contractor shall provide one (1) copy of the insurance certificates and policies as listed below.
Upon completion of the improvement(s) the following documents must be submitted to the Engineering Department in order to obtain a final acceptance by the City Council.
(a) Certificate of Coverage of Contractor's Michigan Worker's Compensation Insurance and Employer's Liability in the amount of $100,000.
(b) Certificate of Coverage of Contractor's Comprehensive General Liability Insurance in the amount of $500,000-$500,000 for Bodily Injury and $100,000-$100,000 for Property Damage. This policy shall also include coverage for: Explosion and collapse hazard, underground hazard and products/completed operations hazard.
(c) Certificate of coverage of Contractor's Comprehensive Automobile Liability in the amount of $250,000-$500,000 for Bodily Injury and $100,000 for Property Damage Insurance, covering owned, hired and non-owned vehicles.
(d) INSURANCE POLICY: "Owner's and Contractor's Protective Liability Policy (O.C.P. - Policy) in the amount of $500,000-$500,000 for Bodily Injury and $100,000-$100,000 for Property Damage. Under this policy, the City of Southfield and the City's Consulting Engineers, Hubbell, Roth and Clark, Inc. and/or Orchard, Hiltz & McCliment, Inc.shall be named as assured.
(e) All policies and certificates shall provide for a ten (10) day notice of cancelation to the City of Southfield and the City's Consulting Engineer(s).
- A Quit Claim Deed or Bill-of-Sale from the developer for the materials used in these improvements.
- A letter from the Engineer stating the final construction cost of these improvements and also indicating that this construction has been completed in accordance with the approved plans.
- Three (4) sets of As-Built drawings, one (1) mylar copy and two (2) bond copies, and one (1) electronic copy. As-Built requirements check list.pdf . Sworn statement from the contractor indicating that all labor and materials have been paid in full.
- Maintenance and Guarantee Bond in favor of the City of Southfield in the amount of 100% of the final construction cost of the improvement. This bond is to be on the City's form and shall run for two (2) years from the date of acceptance by the City Council.
- Dedicate to the City all necessary easements and rights-of-way.