Section 8

Did You Know?

  • The City of Southfield has more almost 800 acres of park land as well as two public nine-hole golf courses.

  • Southfield Flower Day was developed by the Mayor and City Council to promote curb appeal and beautification efforts throughout the City of Southfield.

  • There are 32 miles of rivers and streams in Southfield, and the City hosted the 1st annual Rouge River Cleanup over 35 years ago.

  • The Southfield Public Library has won numerous regional and national awards for its innovative architecture and progressive programs.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides funding for its Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program, formerly known as Section 8. The HCV Program subsidizes rent for income-qualified individuals through the Southfield Housing Commission. As a tenant-based program, the Voucher holder is subsidized - not the rental unit. The Program is often referred to as "Finders Keepers" because the family must locate a unit. The unit must meet Housing Quality Standards (HQS) established by HUD. The rental unit must pass a HQS inspection prior to lease up and every 12 months.

Previously a certificate and voucher program, the Quality Housing and Work Responsibility Act of 1998 merged the two into the Housing Choice Voucher Program. Vouchers are issued to anyone coming onto the program or moving. HUD allows voucher portability for any family that wishes to move within the United States.

The Southfield Housing Commission oversees the Voucher program at the City of Southfield.  The only time a person can apply for a Housing Choice Voucher is when a waiting list is open.  A legal notice will be published in the Sunday edition of the Southfield Eccentric and the Michigan Chronicle announcing when the waiting list is scheduled to open and how to apply.  Our waiting list is closed.

For more information regarding the Southfield Housing Commission's Housing Choice Voucher Program, call Sherry Veal at (248) 796-4172. Also, refer to HUD’s Voucher Fact Sheet.

To obtain a list of subsidized housing from the State of Michigan, call (517) 373-1973.

Housing Quality Standards (pdf)

A Good Place to Live (pdf)

Landlords can list their rental units and seekers of rental property can use the State of Michigan's free service on their Web site at