Welcome to the Department of Public Works
The Public Works Group encompasses six divisions dedicated to maintaining and operating the community’s complex infrastructure. It is also one of the largest departments within the City employing approximately 60 employees with an annual budget of approximately $30,000,000. The divisions within the Public Works Department include: Public Works Administration, Engineering, Water and Sewer, Street and Highways/Forestry, Transportation, and Fleet Operations. The collective group maintains all City-owned properties, equipment and vehicles, water mains, sanitary and storm sewers, streets, sidewalls, bike paths, bridges, traffic control systems and street lights.
The Public Works Group administers refuse collection and solid waste recovery, provides electronic communications maintenance, mowing, street sweeping, snow removal and ice control. Public Works also serves as a liaison for City’s partnership in the Resource Recovery and Recycling Authority of Southwest Oakland County (RRRASOC), an eight member community consortium.
Operations Unit of the Department of Public Works
This Unit provides many of the basic services that affect the daily lives of everyone who lives, works and visits the City of Southfield. Primarily, the Operations Unit is responsible for all the things we take for granted on a daily basis: the administration, planning, maintenance, construction management and technical engineering of the City's infrastructure.
Some of the specific activities, functions and programs include:
- Maintaining all City-owned properties, equipment and vehicles
- Constructing and maintaining streets, sidewalks, bicycle paths, bridges
- Delivering year-round services such as mowing, sweeping, snow removal and ice control
- Implementing and regulating traffic control systems and streetlights
- Providing electronic communications maintenance
- Administering refuse collection, solid waste recovery, and recycling programs
- Operating and repairing sanitary and storm sewers, and supervising flood control management
- Providing high quality, clean water at the lowest possible cost
As the City of Southfield keeps pace with the needs of its people, the Operations Unit is dedicated to helping build a great community in which to live and work by providing essential services for daily life as well as ensuring a healthy and safe natural environment. Working in partnership with our citizens, the Department of Public Works professionals are dedicated to providing high quality, cost-effective services with integrity and excellence.