Rubbish Collection Guidelines:
Through a combined effort with the City of Southfield and GFL Environmental, arrangements have been made to expand the types of items that may be placed at the curb for disposal during the normal rubbish collection process. In an effort to keep the cost of refuse collection at a minimum, many refuse trucks are one-person operations. Therefore, all of the trash placed at the curb must be limited to a size and weight that a single person can manage.Rules for curbside collection:
- Place trash at the curb after 4 p.m. on the afternoon before scheduled pick-up and no later than 7 a.m. the day of your scheduled pick-up.
- Yard waste must be in approved paper yard waste bags or containers (32-gallon max) clearly marked with a yard waste sticker that may be obtained by calling (248) 796-4860. Yard waste in plastic bags will not be collected.
- The collection of "white goods" which includes all appliances and furniture remains unchanged.
All items should be placed at the curb no later than 7:00 a.m. on your regular collection day.
Items Not Accepted:
- Cleaning fluids, paint thinner, turpentine, etc. These items are considered Hazardous Waste and should be dropped off at the Household Hazardous Waste Days.
- Commercial waste, drywall and 2x4 studs in bulk, firewood, kitchen cabinets.
Special Pick-Up Requirements:
Large volume items such as kitchen cabinets, fences, dog houses, etc., or large quantities of materials like broken concrete, dirt, piles of stone, etc., or commercial refuse, i.e. display shelving, cold drink displays, commercial coolers, showcases and vending equipment, etc., will have to be attended to under contract with the rubbish collection contractor or by an independent contractor hired by the resident.
Questions regarding rubbish collection may be directed to the City of Southfield, Public Works Department at (248) 796-4860.