Did You Know?

  • Large appliances such as refrigerators, washers & dryers may be placed at the curb for pick-up.  Refrigerator doors must be removed for safety.
  • Bird feed, litter, pet food, animal droppings & bread crumbs left on the ground will attract rodents.

  • Between the months of May and November, any person owning or occupying land within the City must destroy any and all noxious weeds taller than twelve inches (12”). This applies to vacant properties as well. If a noxious weed is found to be taller than twelve inches (12”) on a vacant property, that property may be mowed and billed to the property owner by the City.


My neighbor’s car has sat on his driveway for two weeks. Is this allowed? 
Homeowners should move their vehicles at least every 48 hours. Any car that does not move on a regular basis is considered disabled and/or outside storage. Chapter 45, Section 5.28. Back to top 

Is it okay for me to display my vehicle for sale at my office in the City?
You are not allowed to sell your car from parking lots. It is not a permitted use of the space. Once the car is parked, you must remove the FOR SALE sign from the window. Chapter 45, Section 5.29. Back to top

Sure my son’s car has expired license plates. He’s away at school. It’s my driveway and I can have it there if I want, right?
Vehicles with expired tags are not allowed in the City. Chapter 45, Section 5.27. Back to top

I’d like to register and license my dog with the City. Whom should I contact?
Contact the Police Department at (248)796-5500 for details. Back to top

My neighbor’s dog barks constantly and keeps me awake at night. Could you please address the issue?
Barking dogs are considered a nuisance and can be addressed by a Code Enforcement Officer. The Police Department can be contacted if the nuisance occurs after business hours. Back to top

Is my neighbor allowed to store his trash cans in sight?
Containers, bundles, and materials shall be kept and stored in such a manner so as not be be visible when viewed from the street.  Containers should be secured with tight fitting lids, or bagged with ties. The property owner is responsible for picking up any loose or blowing trash. Chapter 17, Section 2.3-7. Back to top

My neighbor places his trash at the curb days before pick up. Is this allowed?
Trash can be placed at the curb no earlier than 4 p.m. the day before pick up and must be taken away from the curb no later than noon the day after. Chapter 17, Section 2.3-7. Back to top

My neighbor erected a fence on my property. Could you please have him remove it?
The City does not settle lot line disputes between residents. If a resident feels that a neighbor is encroaching on his property, a private surveyor should be hired to determine the actual lot line. Back to top

Is my neighbor allowed to have extremely tall grass?
Grass can be no taller than eight inches (8”) and weeds no taller than twelve inches (12”). Chapter 100, ES-301.6M. Back to top

There’s a vacant lot next to my house with tall grass. Is the City responsible for mowing it?
The Department of Public Works mows vacant lots 2-3 times a year and typically begins cutting in mid-June. Back to top

The branches from my neighbor’s tree are hanging on my side of the fence. Could you please have him trim them back?
Tree disputes are a civil matter between neighbors. A resident may trim any foliage that encroaches onto his property. However, if the foliage dies as a result of the trimming, the resident may be held liable in a civil court. On the other hand, the owner of the tree may be held liable in a civil court if his tree causes any damage to a neighboring property. Again, these are civil matters between the property owners and do not involve the City. Back to top

I submitted a complaint weeks ago and nothing has been done?
There may be action taken that isn’t apparent to the complainant. The violator may have plans to take care of the matter in a few days, may have to appear in court to have the matter resolved, or may require outside assistance. Feel free to contact the Code Enforcement Department by phone and ask for the status of said complaint. Back to top

Are inspectors allowed to trespass on private property?
Inspectors are free to walk onto any public area of the property, driveway, front porch, or front walkway. Inspectors are also free to enter any property with permission. They often get permission from neighboring property owners to view violations which may be “hidden” in the rear yard. Back to top

Why is my neighbor allowed to keep his boat when I had to get rid of mine?
No one is allowed to disregard an ordinance. Either the inspector is unaware of the violation or the boat is in fact not in violation. Property owners are allowed to have a boat, RV, or commercial vehicle on their property if it is under twenty feet (20’) and stored in the rear of the property. Chapter 45, Section 5.62 (3). Back to top

Does the City exterminate rats?
The City does not exterminate or lay poison for rodents due to liability. The City will address any violations in a community that may be attracting the rodents (i.e. stored vehicles, bird seed on the ground, pet feces) and inform the community how to eliminate the potential problem. Back to top

There’s a tree leaning against the power lines that lead to my house. Can the City please trim the trees for me?
While the City does not trim trees on private property, the utility company to which the power lines belong to will be more than happy to trim any trees that are interrupting service to your home. Back to top

I’m remodeling the interior of my house and I have a few questions. Whom should I contact?
Code Enforcement addresses property maintenance concerns on the exterior of private properties. You may contact the Building Department for any concerns in the interior. Back to top

Do I need a permit to build a fence?
Yes.  You may contact the Building Department for any questions regarding permits and fencing requirements.Chapter 45 Section 5.37.  Back to top

My neighbor's bushes are covering the front door.  Is there an ordinance?
Bushes, shrubs, hedges and landscape materials within the front yard residential dwelling shall be maintained and trimmed.  They should not provide any visual barrier or hazard to the front entranceway and provide a clear and unobstructed view of the any front windows when viewed from the street.  Any dead or diseased bushes, shrubs, and other plantings in the front shall be promptly removed. Chapter 111, Section 9.50(A). Back to top